Friday, October 25, 2013

Delirium by Lauren Oliver

Title: Delirium (Delirium #1)
Author: Lauren Oliver
Publication date: 8/2/2011
Format: eBook(Nook
Pages: 480
 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zpsa5d19327.png

Ninety-five days, and then I’ll be safe.I wonder whether the procedure will hurt.I want to get it over with. It's hard to be patient.It’s hard not to be afraid while I’m still uncured, though so far the deliria hasn’t touched me yet.Still, I worry.They say that in the old days, love drove people to madness.The deadliest of all deadly things: It kills you both when you have it and when you don’t.


The Jist: Amor deliria nervosa is what Lena knows as love. A disease to be feared, the cure for this disease if given to every citizen on their 18th birthday. A day Lena had been looking forward to, the day she will be safe.

The summer before she is cured Lena meets Alex and everything she has ever known changes. She starts to see her world, her life, and her government in a completely different light.  Has he infected her with the disease or is there more to love than what she has been taught? 


My Take: I will admit that I took me a while to get through this book but I honestly don’t know why. I think I was just having a little book ADD (story of my life!). I really enjoyed this story. It’s told form Lena’s point of view and focuses on her thoughts of feelings about everything that happens throughout the book. I will say that the story is a little predicable but not in a way that takes away from the enjoyment of the book. This book is very well written, the langue the author uses really helps you fell what Lena in is feeling, it is almost like you are going through it all yourself. I also the love that the author used a place you can relate to from the beginning of the story, I have never been to Portland but I have a very vivid picture of it in my mind now (and I will probably be slightly disappointed in how it really looks). I love how much of Lena’s world you are brought into as you read.

Wrap Up:  To be totally honest the ending is what is going to keep me reading this series, it was slightly MIND BLOWING! It has one of those endings where it doesn't really give you a choice but to read the next book because you have to know what the heck happens after all of that! Had it ended in “they lived happier ever after” I feel like I would have been OK with that too. It’s because of that I am giving this book 4/5.


I have already purchase Pandemonium and I can’t wait to read the rest of Lena’s story! 

No comments:

Post a Comment