Sunday, November 3, 2013

Review of Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter



Title: Alice in Zombieland
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Publication Date: September 2012
Format: barrowed e-book
Page: 304pages


 photo goodreads-badge-add-plus-d700d4d3e3c0b346066731ac07b7fe47_zpsa5d19327.png





Had anyone told Alice Bell that her entire life would change course between one heartbeat and the next, she would have laughed. From blissful to tragic, innocent to ruined? Please. But that’s all it took. One heartbeat. A blink, a breath, a second, and everything she knew and loved was gone. 
Her father was right. The monsters are real….  
To avenge her family, Ali must learn to fight the undead. To survive, she must learn to trust the baddest of the bad boys, Cole Holland. But Cole has secrets of his own, and if Ali isn’t careful, those secrets might just prove to be more dangerous than the zombies…. 
I wish I could go back and do a thousand things differently. 
I'd tell my sister no. 
I'd never beg my mother to talk to my dad. 
I'd zip my lips and swallow those hateful words. 
Or, barring all of that, I'd hug my sister, my mom and my dad one last time. 
I'd tell them I love them.I wish... Yeah, I wish.


 My Take: I really really enjoyed this book! The writing is so engaging that I was almost drawn into Ali’s world. There were times when I wanted to (and did) scream at some of the characters for being mean to her. There were times when I screamed at Cole for being so…male! Kat made me laugh out loud almost every time she spoke! And Ali’s grandparents with their slang just made my day.

Oh and the zombies! Have I told you that I love zombies!? Not in an “I think they are so cute” kind of way. It’s more like I LOVE killing zombies in video games kind of way, and now I love reading about people kicking some zombie butt! I’m not going to lie, it helps that the zombie killing group is full of hunks and that Cole is the lead hunk. I just love how bossy he is and I love it more that Ali doesn't take his crap!

My ONLY problem with this book and I hate to even really call it a problem but it was enough for me not to give it a full 5 cups of Joe……. The ending. I knew there was sequel going in so I know that there had to be some level of open-end-ness (yes I just made up a word) coming. To me the whole ending felt rushed and sort of thrown together. It was slightly anti-climactic just because it all seemed to happen to fast compared to the pace of the rest of the book.

Wrap up: What a great read! I am so glad I read this book! It’s one of my first zombie books since I have decided that they rock and I was not at all disappointed with way they were portrayed in this book. It was fun yet serious and extremely engaging all at the same time! If you like zombies, butt kicking, and teen love you will LOVE this book! Even though I found the ending rushed and slightly disappointing, I have already put my hold on the next book Through the Zombie Glass because I need to know what happens next! 

My Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment