Tuesday, December 3, 2013

National Novel Writing Month Wrap Up



National Novel Writers Month Has come to an end. I know that I did not post anything about it along the way. I was trying to not to get stuck on how much I was or wasn’t writing because, for me, that just makes it harder to just sit down any write.
I didn’t “win” the challenge. I honestly haven’t even typed most of what I wrote; I just found it much easier to write with pen and paper than to try to type and think at the same time.

Even though I did not reach the 50,000 word goal, I am really happy that I participated and I will definitely be doing it again. I think the best think I got of the this month was just a start on a book that has been nothing more than an idea floating around in my brain for so long. I have never even put in a REAL attempt at writing before. Even without getting to the word goal, I have way more than when I started.

One of the other really exciting aspects of NaNoWriMon for me was the support for everyone who is participating or has participated in this challenge before. Whenever I felt in the least bit discouraged I could always hop on Twitter, Facebook, or NaNoWriMon.org and get a little pep talk. There are so many authors out there that we willing to share their experiences in writing and most of them have been writing for years before they got anything published. I know that might sound a little saddening but honestly it gave me hope. I could think to myself that it is ok to take my time with what I am writing and it is ok for it not to be perfect. Books go through many different drafts before they are finally published. The biggest and best thing I could do was to just start writing.

I also gleaned some information from some of the writers that where at YALL Fest. The main thing they all said was to just keep writing. They all have literally put their blood, sweat and tears into their books and that process takes time.

As far as my story goes, I wish I’d made more progress but to be honest trying to make time to able to just sit and write undisturbed around the holidays is just not an option for me. I have WAY too much family for that and I will never be mad at myself for spending time with my family. I now have the drive, and the storyboard, to keep on writing throughout the year. I am going to make times to sit and write this story, and hopefully other in the New Year.

If you are an aspiring writer or just have a story to tell, I would highly suggest participating in NaNoWriMon but don’t get caught up on how much you write. Just use the time to take in the information and good vibes from all the other writers involved. It’s definitely a worthwhile experience! 

No comments:

Post a Comment