Title: Ember X
Series: Death Collectors #1
Author: Jessica Sorensen
Publication Date: November 16th 2013
I stared of reading the YA version of this book and then switched to the NA version just to see what was different. In my opinion it makes more sense as a NA book. The characters being just a little bit older makes a lot of the situation more plausible… at least to me.
· This is a much darker less….mushy take on good vs bad angles than most books that I have read in the past. I really liked have good and evil weren’t so cut and dry because in reality it’s not always so easy to distinguish between to two.
· Ember is a strong protagonist that has had a crap life and fought back very well. Seeing a person’s death if you touch them would make a lesser person completely lose it. Not to mention all the other crappy stuff that is going on in her life. Ember doesn’t let that stop her from being who she is and she doesn’t let that stop her from living, which I found extremely admirable.
· I found this to be sort of confusing. Some of the things that were happening didn’t totally make sense even once they were sort of explained.
· I felt like the way story moved and the way the characters acted didn’t always match up but I am still left wondering if it was meant to be that way and if it was then why? Lol.
· I think my biggest confusion was Ember’s relationships with the boys. Although they were great to read about, for someone so used to be so shut off from people, it all happened really fast.
· I also felt the both guys story was confusing as well. How they became so involved in Ember life just never really made sense but I think that might have been done on purpose so that we can find out more about them in the next books.
On the whole I really did like Ember X. Even though I found it confusing, I am hoping that it will all become clearer in the next book. Part of me feels like maybe the reader is supposed to be confused because this is all so new and confusing for Ember. I guess we will have to see in Cinder X!