Saturday, April 26, 2014

Episodes in Non-Fiction: Physical VS Electronic Books


I know it has been way to long since I posted one of these. I think I was over thinking what I should write about so I finally just wrote what I was thinking......


I just finished Beautiful Creatures by Kamie Garcia. It took me a few months to finish the book. As readers, we know that this is a loooong time to spend on one book. Especially a good book, which Beautiful Creatures definitely is. So you are probably wondering why it took me so long to read this one book. You are not the only one, I was wondering too! I had to really sit down and think about it and this is what I came up with.

Lately I have been having a hard time finishing, or even really getting into quite a few books. I have determined that it’s not the books’ fault but it’s the simple fact that they are physical copies. So why is this a problem? There is absolutely nothing wrong with a physical book and sometimes it’s nice to hold a real book in your hands instead some gadget with a million distractions on it. Then there’s the smell, there is nothing like the smell of a book and you cannot get that smell from any sort of e-reader.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get time to sit down with my print books and just read, like I want to. I have found it so much easier to pull up a book in my phone or iPad to read in stolen moments than I have found the time to sit down with my physical books. I have also noticed that people will not bother you when you are reading on your phone or checking emails or playing games but having an actual book in front of you means that you aren't busy and it is totally ok to strike up a conversation! Which I think is so insane because the chances that someone is doing something other than checking their Facebook on their phone are minimal. I have even caught my husband striking up conversations with me when I am reading a book and not saying a word when I am playing Candy Crush on my phone. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love it when people ask about that book that I am reading and it’s much easier to do that when I have an actual book in my hands, but this should be a short and sweet sort of conversation because I AM READING!


movie animated GIF
So this whole rant leads to a question, do you find it easier to read physical books or read electronically? Which one would you say you read more of?

Just because I am curious.           

No comments:

Post a Comment