Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Express- O Reviews

expresso review
I’m finding that it is hard to write a full review for every book I read. So I am going to start doing some quickie reviews. Express-O reviews if you will! These are just short and sweet reviews, as quick as a shot of espresso.


HourglassTitle: Hourglass
Author: Myra McEntire
Series: Hourglass #1
Publication Date: June 14, 2011
Format: library e-book
Pages: 275

goodreads-badge-
One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back.

So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may also change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should've happened?
 
Hourglass was a good start to the series but not the best book ever. I felt like the whole book was extremely drawn out with things that are obvious to the reader taking FOREVER to play out. I liked Emerson but I found her moods a little confusing. She was totally terrified of her abilities one second and then totally okay with using them the next. Sometimes I felt like I was getting mood whip lash. I like Michael but I felt like his relationship with Emerson was under developed, I’m holding out on my full judgment for this though because I feel like maybe their relationship will been more prominent in the next book based on what happened in this one.

The saving grace for me wanting to continue the series is the ending. So much happens all at once it leaves you with your jaw on the floor screaming “WTH!!” when you turn to the last page.
3 half
coffee bean2

Dangerous VoicesTitle: Dangerous Voices
Author: Rea Carson
Published: November 11, 2012
Format: e-novella
Pages: 28
goodreads-badge-
Errik has been a prisoner--and alone--for a long, long time. He lives for the moment each day when the window of his dungeon cell shines a bit of light onto his bearded face. But everything changes when he gets a new neighbor--a young girl with a voice as beautiful as the spring rise. They both know the rules: No singing. No speaking. Voices are dangerous. But they can't help themselves. And soon enough, Errik begins to remember himself, why he's here in this dark place, and why his captors will stop at nothing to ensure his silence.

I have yet to read a full novel by Rae Carson. I have The Girl of Fire and Thorns but I haven’t got around to reading it yet, but I have heard so many wonderful things about her writing I couldn’t help but be intrigued by a free e-novella by her.
This short story is only 28 pages long but Carson uses every one of those pages very well. From the first sentence I was intrigued and wanted to know more about Errik’s strange, caged world. From here the feelings only get more intense. In just 28 pages I felt for Errik and his friend. I despised their captors and I wanted to know so much more about the magic in their world. Even though Errik’s story is short and seems to end suddenly, it was a perfect ending.

If Rae Carson can do this in 28 pages, I am moving her series to the top of my TBR pile!
5

coffee bean3
Take my handTitle: Take My Hand
Author: Nicola Haken
Series: Take My Hand #1
Format: e-book
Pages: 320
goodreads-badge-
Twenty-four year old Dexter Michaels has arrived in the UK for a fresh start - leaving everything and everyone he knows behind in the states. Determined to put right some of the wrongs he’ll never be able to forgive himself for making and make his Aunt Sarah – the only person left who still believes in him - proud, he lands in London with the intention of working hard, getting his degree and keeping himself to himself. He can’t destroy anybody else that way…
His heart and his body have other ideas however when he finds himself sitting next to nineteen year old Emily Barton in his Psychology class. Moving down south to find her own New Life, Emily is shy, smart and beautiful – everything Dexter knows he should stay away from… everything he knows would be too easy for him to break.
But she makes him feel things he’d forgotten even existed. She makes him laugh, smile, care… forget. Without her trying, and without him realizing, Emily has wound her way into the one place he swore to keep locked away forever – his heart. But can she stay there when she discovers the dark past he’s so determined to keep hidden from her? Or will he destroy her too, just like he always expected? 
(Not suitable for under 18's due to language, drug/alcohol abuse and sexual content)
I have already written reviews one the second and third book in this series, Hold On Tight and Lean On Me, and I am currently reading the last book for a blitz so I feel like I should give the first book a little love as well!

If the fact that I am still eagerly reading this series doesn’t tell you enough, let me say that Nicola Haken know how to keep you coming back for more! In Taken My Hand we are introduced to a fun loving cast of characters that we then get to follow throughout the rest of the series. Emily and Rachel are BFF’s and Dexter and Jared are as good of friends as a surly kill-joy and a happy go lucky play-boy can be. All of them fit together perfectly and, one of my favorite things about this series is, the dynamic between this of friends is extremely entertaining!

Emily and Dexter’s relationship is intense from the start but the more they fall in love the more beautiful it is to read about. Emily is a powerful character with a meek outer shell. She deals with things mere mortals would run away from and she does it like a champ. As much as Dexter needs Emily, he is also so good for her and helps build her up into the beautiful women she is. Rachel is one tough cookie which is exactly the push Emily needs to take the leap and be the strong woman she really is. Poor broken Dexter fights tooth and nail not to fall for Emily but, of course is doesn’t work! Dexter’s past beaks this story wide open and takes this couple and the reader, on a roller coaster ride of emotions! Seriously, this book had me laughing, crying, and cursing. And then is just ends… it’s almost cruel how good Nicola Haken is at cliff hangers. Once you start this series you will not be able to stop!
5

No comments:

Post a Comment